The thought of waking up before the sun does sounds pretty horrible… until you try it. A common characteristic of all successful people is that they wake up early (and I’m talking 6 or even 5am early!). There is an indescribable feeling of waking up before the sun rises and starting your morning routine while everyone else is asleep. You have, for one portion of the day, complete silence, a calming sunrise and the peak of your creativity and productivity to start your day off right. Using those extra hours to your advantage is one of the best ways to increase your daily productivity.
Now, let’s step back to reality for a minute: waking up early is difficult… It took me weeks to actually implement this habit, but once I did I was so happy.
Here’s how you can conquer it:
- Set your intentions: Why do you want to do this? You need to have a reason to wake up earlier than your body is used to. Do you want to get in some morning yoga or a workout? write a book? meditate? get ahead in school or work? These are all great intentions, so find yours. Once you do, you’ll be more motivated to achieve your goal because it’s always about your mindset.
- Get in Bed Earlier: Although you’re setting this new life goal, 7-8 hours of sleep is still important for optimal productivity and energy throughout the day. At first, it’s probably gonna be hard to fall asleep earlier but this is just one of those things you just need to push through at the beginning. SERIOUSLY, just get in bed at 9. Put it on your daily planner to get ready for bed at 8:30. I know that sounds absolutely insane with all the to-dos that we push to the end of our day but when you train your body to sleep early and wake up early it will all balance out. After about a week it will just become a new normal for your day.
- Set your alarm & set it away: You don’t need your phone to fall asleep. According to science, being on your phone right before bed prevents our brains from releasing melatonin, a hormone that tells our bodies it’s nighttime. Personally, I like to read before bed because it’s a great way to end my day and It makes me sleepy. In the morning you will now have to get out of bed to turn off your alarm…hoping you don’t crawl back in.
- Self Discipline: Unfortunately, there is no trick or easy way around this part. You need to be self disciplined and motivated to get up and start your day, even if you’re basically a zombie.
- Water: Wash your face with cold water (that will always work!) and start your day with a fresh, cold glass of water. It will wake up your body and keep you hydrated. Adding lemon to your water is always a great way to get that morning zing too!
Now you can get a productive, early start to your day. Once you make this a new life habit and see how much more you get done everyday, you will never want to go back to your old ways!
Goodluck! With love from Jenni.